Monotype just launched a new and improved version of Helvetica. Every single glyph has been redesigned, preserving Helvetica’s “swissness”, while making it meet modern demands and standards.
The full Helvetica Now family includes 48 fonts in 3 distinct optical sizes: Micro, Text, and Display. Each optical size contains 8 weights (from Thin to Black) and matching italics.
Helvetica Now Display Black is offered for free.
Helvetica New has redesigned glyphs and stylistic alternates that fix multiple legibility problems present in Helvetica:
- Micro addresses Helvetica’s legibility issues at smaller sizes
- alternate hooked lowercase l addresses the issue that capital I and lowercase l were indistinguishable in Helvetica
- alternate rounded G
- alternate straight-legged R
- alternate single storey lowercase a
- alternate lowercase u without a trailing serif
Designers: Max Miedinger, Charles Nix, Monotype Studio, Jan Hendrik Weber